The DS18B20 digital thermometer provides 9-bit to 12-bit Celsius temperature measurements and has an alarm function with nonvolatile user-programmable upper and lower trigger points. The DS18B20 communicates over a 1-Wire bus that by definition requires only one data line (and ground) for communication with a central microprocessor. It has an operating temperature range of -55°C to +125°C and is accurate to ±0.5°C over the range of -10°C to +85°C. In addition, the DS18B20 can derive power directly from the data line (“parasite power”), eliminating the need for an external power supply.
Each DS18B20 has a unique 64-bit serial code, which allows multiple DS18B20s to function on the same 1-Wire bus. Thus, it is simple to use one microprocessor to control many DS18B20s distributed over a large area.
- Unique 1-Wire® interface requires only one port pin for communication
- Each device has a unique 64-bit serial code stored in an onboard ROM
- Multidrop capability simplifies distributed temperature sensing applications
- Requires no external components
- Can be powered from data line. Power supply range is 3.0V to 5.5V
- Measures temperatures from –55°C to +125°C (–67°F to +257°F)
- ±0.5°C accuracy from –10°C to +85°C
- Thermometer resolution is user-selectable from 9 to 12 bits
- Converts temperature to 12-bit digital word in 750ms (max.)
- User-definable nonvolatile (NV) alarm settings
- Alarm search command identifies and addresses devices whose temperature is outside of programmed limits (temperature alarm condition)
- Applications include thermostatic controls, industrial systems, consumer products, thermometers, or any thermally sensitive system